Background & Purpose of the Job
Unilever Enterprise & Technology Solutions (ETS) is the global business unit that delivers the company’s shared business services and Technology services, solutions, and innovation.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
The transformation of Employee Services – Workplace has driven significant change over the past 8 years developing the strategy and moving the delivery of these services from being primarily within each local site and geography to be a globally integrated service line within Enterprise Solutions. As this change is embedded, there is still a requirement to deliver change without disruption to everyday operations. Particular focus on relationship building skills, ability to drive service and financial performance leading to success of 3rd party suppliers, and drive change in the workplace environment effectively while balancing sensitivities and local nuances.
You’re a born leader: Develop win-win relationships with selected providers to meet our current and future requirements You’re a dot connector: Leverage cost-effective, best practice, global solutions across Unilever to meet users’ needs You love to win, and have fun doing it: Put the business goals at the heart of what we do You’re a changemaker: Make continuous improvement in both cost and service an integral part of our way of working You’re a culture & change champion: Build a professional services organisation that enables our people to give their best
Scope of services managed is:
- Real Estate – the Service Delivery Director is responsible to ensure that all activities around acquisition, disposal, and contractual terms across the South East Asia and Australasia (SEAA)/North Asia portfolio land well in the business and manages the engagement with the stakeholders within the region. This is undertaken in partnership with the Global Real Estate team who are accountable for driving and executing each RE transaction within our defined standards.
- Building project management – overseeing all construction activity excluding Supply Chain units
- Capital Asset planning and management – ensuring that we have a clear ongoing funnel of capex projects that drive the greatest value for Unilever to lower total cost of operation.
- Facilities management – all site services (catering, cleaning, security, building maintenance, etc.) not impacting production.
- Agile Working – facilitating the integration efforts across SEAA/North Asia, Technology and HR to further enhance our externally praised ability to work anytime, anywhere (regarded as the most important element of the diversity agenda).
- Travel. Fleet and Event Management – to ensure the global travel and event management services operate effectively in the Geography and meet the needs of the business whilst ensuring high levels of traveller compliance to support broader security and safety requirements.
- At the inception of Workplace Services, there was no organization. Focus has been to develop the right strategy to provide value to the business and grow the organization opportunistically with the right balance of leveraging and transitioning current resources in the geography, while bringing in the right external professionals to transform the function.
- A key concentration has been in establishing the right 3rd party supplier partnerships, given the vast majority of services are outsourced. There are three primary partners in SEAA/North Asia, all with established Joint Business Development Plans.
- Sodexo – our key partner for FM services in SEAA.
- CBRE – our key partner for FM services in North Asia.
- CBRE – one of our key partners for real estate transactions (along with C&W); and building projects globally (along with C&W and Aecom).
- HRG – our key travel agency covering 81 countries
- Throughout its evolution, the workplace delivery of financial value to the business and accountability in doing so has increased significantly.
- To support the transformation, an operating model has been established to ensure consistent and sustainable development of the Workplace agenda in a globally consistent, but locally relevant manner. This operating model consists of 9 dimensions: strategic plans, process & policy, governance, roles & responsibilities, data & reporting, performance management, financial management, skills & capabilities and role of suppliers & partners.
Going forward, to build upon the foundation created in Workplace Services, and to raise the bar in taking to the next level the key capabilities that are most important:
- Supplier management – given the significant nature of services being outsourced in a truly global capacity, the SDD needs to build the right relationships with all stakeholders in all three of the primary partnering organisations to ensure delivery of value to Unilever, and to help shape each of the 3rd party partners agendas’ and capabilities within the region.
- Financial management – having the right financial acumen is vital, given the size and cost of the Unilever portfolio, and given that Workplace is its own function working across the business. The service line is very business case and event driven, mostly around real estate transactions and location decisions. Coupled with this is our relentless focus on driving the ZBB (Zero Based Budgeting) agenda and utilising tools such as LEAN / End 2 End cost management and Magnify to constantly challenge our views on value and bring around the right conversations with business leaders on cost choices.
- Change management – given the legacy of WTS being very local, building the right relationship across region and with the various global functions of HR, Finance, Supply Chain, R&D, Food Solutions, and increasingly categories as we grow our retail portfolio, is essential in shaping and driving the Workplace agenda. This includes taking on the management and integration of newly acquired companies along with integrating any future M&A targets
- Relationship Management – as the SDD in SEAA/North Asia you will form part of the SEAA/North Asia ETS LTs, connecting with your colleagues in Finance, HR, IT and Data and Analytics to drive joined up thinking around the business initiatives that ETS are driving and ensure close alignment with the SEAA/NA LT agenda. You will also work closely with the two Cluster Boards requiring strong engagement with a broad range of business leaders.
- Digitally driven – The key campuses (Bangkok, HCM City, Manila, Singapore, Shanghai) offer opportunities for further digitalization and our focus now is to drive a differentiated service mindset and culture using the technology through data and analytics. In addition the SDD needs to remain very aligned and engaged in the broader digital agenda for both the region and Workplace globally to ensure that we can capitalise on all opportunities to enhance the user experience whilst driving down costs to operate and meeting our sustainability goals.
- Future Workplace Design – the role needs to maintain constant focus on the ever-changing needs of the workplace population and end user needs, as well as strong engagement with the broader sustainability and Diversity & Inclusion agenda to ensure that our workplaces remain relevant and forward thinking in their design, operation and performance. Workplace is a key part of the attraction and retention of talent agenda for South Asia and play a role in supporting the HRLT agenda for the region
- Safety, Security and Sustainability – the role holder needs to retain and build a strong relationship with the SHE and Sustainability teams in SEAA/North Asia to ensure we have aligned agendas and that Workplace play a proactive role in delivering these agendas through both strategic intent and operational delivery. The cluster leaderships place great importance into this area.
- External Engagement – whilst significant effort is internally focused on the role and broader Unilever needs, the SDD also needs to maintain and develop effective external networks and contacts to ensure our Workplace proposition is current and market leading in the region.
- Supply Chain Engagement – Workplace provide a range of service to the Supply Chain part of the business and developing and maintaining a strong relationship with the SCLT for the region along with deep awareness of the key factors that are important to Supply Chain in terms of cost, safety, performance and critical uptime are essential to build and foster a close working relationship to drive value for the business.
- €53.7 billion turnover in 2017
- 58% of our business is in emerging markets
- 12 brands have sales of more than €1 billion a year
- 161,000 people work for Unilever
- 47% of our managers are women
- In 2017, we maintained zero non-hazardous waste to landfill
- No.1 FMCG graduate employer of choice in 44 of the 52 countries we recruit from
- In 2016 our Sustainable Living brands grew 50% faster than the rest of the business
- The current portfolio includes ~400 leased offices, R&D and supply chain units; and ~50 owned offices, R&D and supply chain units; this excludes retail units and the recent acquisitions of companies like T2 & Carver– which may in due course come within the remit of this role. This role will also need to support and drive the disposal of surplus properties as part of the global OTI agenda alongside the RE team
- The current average spend across the North Asia cluster for WTS is ~€15million OPEX and ~€5million CAPEX, and for SEAA is ~€35milion OPEX and ~€9million CAPEX, this excludes SC and retail.
- There are currently 40 staff reporting into the role across Australia; New Zealand; Indonesia; Singapore; Malaysia; Thailand; Vietnam; Cambodia; Laos; Myanmar; Philippines; China; Hong Kong SAR; Japan; Korea and Taiwan. These numbers may grow and change as the portfolio dimensions shift. This excludes the third party supplier numbers
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- Degree (or equivalent) or relevant business qualification and experience
- Proven experience in managing complex projects and programs
- Proven experience in building and managing teams in a diverse and extended environment
- Excellent financial awareness and understanding of TCO models
- Strong and self-confident leadership, influencing style and networking ability
- Ability to inspire confidence in delivery
- Strong business awareness and understanding of the broader context of decisions
- Ability to work effectively in complex matrix organizations involving outsourced operations
- Flexible and responsive to changing business and market conditions
- Proven skills of managing large budgets and high profile/value projects
- Experience of leading senior teams with a demonstrable track record of motivational and achievement-oriented leadership
- Experience of strategic leadership in a global organization with complex/geographical context
- Strong communication, influencing and relationship building skills
- Experience of managing large external service providers delivering services and projects
The role will be based in one of our key hubs, in either of the locations listed below:
You will need to ensure you have the eligibility to work in either of the above countries.
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
- Portfolio Management
- Property Management
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.