Associate – Portfolio Management
We are seeking a highly motivated Associate to join our Portfolio Management team at Fairlawn in either Champaign, IL or Chicago, IL. The ideal candidate will embody Fairlawn’s core values: Be Kind, Own It, Be Flexible, and Always Improve.
The Portfolio Management Associate is a newly created role designed to enhance the financial support and strategy to Fairlawn’s portfolio. The role will report directly and work closely with the Chief Financial Officer to develop and support the Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) functions of the organization. This individual will play a key role in providing timely and actionable data to key stakeholders, support our annual budget and forecast process, be instrumental in developing and reporting on KPIs, and support capital markets functions.
We are looking for an skilled associate with experience in aggregating and summarizing large data sets, a highly analytical individual with expert-level Excel skills and strong communication and problem-solving skills. You will play a crucial role in maximizing the financial performance of our portfolio. The Portfolio Management team will collaborate cross-functionally with asset management, accounting, investor relations, and senior leadership. The ideal candidate will have superior attention to detail and be willing to contribute to a growing team while learning from senior members of the organization.
Fairlawn is a fast-growing real estate firm with over 130 team members and 5,000 units throughout Central Illinois and Indiana. If you have a passion for people and take pride in all the details, our Portfolio Management Associate role may be perfect for you!
What will you do?
- Regularly analyze the real estate portfolio, assessing property performance, market trends, and financial metrics.
- Develop and maintain financial models to facilitate portfolio decision-making, encompassing cash flow projections, valuation, and sensitivity analysis.
- Take ownership of and manage datasets containing budget, forecast, and financial information, demonstrating strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy and consistency in reporting.
- Establish and track key performance indicators (KPIs) for evaluating the financial health and performance of individual properties and the overall portfolio.
- Produce routine reports on portfolio performance, delivering key findings to senior management.
- Collaborate with asset management teams to formulate budgets and forecasts, ensuring alignment with overarching business goals.
- Contribute to the origination of new debt and refinancing activities.
- Assist in investor relations, including preparing investment summaries and quarterly investor reports.
- Support of portfolio wide real estate tax and insurance management program.
- Other ad-hoc requests as needed.
Why should you work here?
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Match
- Phone Stipend
- Vehicle Stipend
- Vacation, Sick Leave, and Holiday Pay
- The opportunity to work for a growing organization where you are valued and can have a direct impact
Who you are – We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Real Estate, or a related field. CPA preferred
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in an analytical position. Real estate and/or public accounting experience preferred
- Strong analytical skills with proficiency in financial modeling and data interpretation
- Familiarity with financial planning and analysis (FP&A) software
- Proficient with relevant technology (e.g. Microsoft Office, AppFolio, Outlook) and can easily adapt to changing technology
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Desire to work as part of a small, highly entrepreneurial team
- Embody our core values: Be Kind, Be Flexible, Own It and Always Improve
Some additional things you will need:
- Valid driver’s license and dependable vehicle. Limited in-town usage of personal vehicle for errands, any out-of-County personal mileage reimbursed at the Federal rate
- Availability to work longer hours and weekends during peak times for your department
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Executes tasks independently, Maintains concentration/focus on tasks
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- The ability to observe details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Occasionally moving objects up to 15 pounds about the office.
- Ability to communicate orally with customers, vendors, management, and other co-workers.
- Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential.
- Hearing, vision, and speaking within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
- Good reasoning ability is important. Able to understand and utilize management reports, memos, and other documents to conduct business.
- The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting while working at a computer and fast-paced operations and events.
Fairlawn Real Estate is a fast-growing real estate firm managing approximately 5,000 units throughout Central Illinois and Indiana. Our company uses the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) to run and help grow our business – the tools from EOS contribute to finding the right people and putting them in the right roles, effectively solving issues as they arise and building a culture of accountability. In short it gets everyone on the same page and working toward the same goals. If you have an ownership mindset and take pride in all the details, joining our team may be perfect for you!
Apply for this job